Friday, September 28, 2012

The Reason I Decided to Continue to Write

After the completion of “Curious Condition: Emergency Room,” I had the opportunity to organize reading events both in Phoenix, AZ and in New Haven, CT. My first reading was in Phoenix with a small group of school children. They were wonderful to read for as they expressed great appreciation for the event. The next event that I held was at the Yale Medical School Child Daycare Center. This event was larger because five additional readers, whom of which were medical, public health, and nursing students from Yale, were able to read to the various classrooms. This event was a success; the children loved the interaction and definitely learned a lot about the ER. I was asked several times from the medical and nursing students if I would consider a second book, at the time I was unsure. A second reading event was help the following fall semester. I went inside one of the classrooms and showed them the book. A child came up to me and said, “Oh that is the book we read last year, I remember it!” That was such a heartfelt moment, knowing that the children remembered the story and were excited to read it again. I think that was the moment I realized I needed to continue with the writing. I knew that I wanted to get another book out to help children remember, enjoy, and learn more about healthcare. I was ecstatic when making this decision.   

No comments:

Post a Comment