Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Letting the writing take control

I began writing; it involved a quiet space and my laptop. I had to be warm and cozy; my family home was perfect for that. It definitely helped having an outline in hand as it helped guide my direction. It was really important to have various colorful images around to help me visualize my scenes and characters. I would get frustrated at times because I was aiming for perfection. I realized that this was my crappy first draft and that I should not aim towards perfection but rather keep my goals aligned. After two long weeks, I felt fine with my first draft. It included everything I wanted to incorporate but again, it was nothing close to perfection and I was alright with that. An awesome quote to keep in mind is this quote from Michael Crichton:

"Books aren't written, they're rewritten. Including your own. It is one of the hardest things to accept, especially after the seventh rewrite hasn't quite done it..." -M.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment